Culvert damaged - Seeking advice on repair

Old 06-09-24, 09:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Culvert damaged - Seeking advice on repair

We installed (4) 18" dual wall HDPE culverts to access our property last year, the contractor advised that is likely needed additional gravel and fill as it only had about 12-14" covering the pipe. We had extensive rains and the ground was saturated, a truck and trailer hauling a skid steer drove over the pipe before I could get additional fill and the result is in the attached photo. The inner liner is not compromised but is slightly pushed in, not sure if this 24" length of damage needs to be repaired or replaced.

I dug it out this morning with a shovel to assess the damage and I'm unsure what to do outside of replacing the entire, my wife thinks I'm overreacting and said I need more opinions. I picked up some 18" couplers to go around the damaged section at the advise of another friend but I'm unsure that will work as the ribbed section are deformed. Someone else recommended using spray foam in the damaged rib sections to try and expand the damaged.....

Any opinions on this?? We are building a new home and will have concrete trucks coming and going, I will clearly need to bring in rock and fill to improve the apron but waiting on that in case I to remove the culvert and replace it. Thanks is advance.

Old 06-09-24, 10:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
I'm not sure I'd worry about it if it's only pushed down an inch or so.

Old 06-10-24, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
The top of mine is only 6" below grade and I've driven tons of heavy trucks and machinery across it. A lot depends on how well and what is used to back fill around the pipe. If it's good material that packs well it can withstand tremendous weight.

Old 06-13-24, 09:47 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
I'd agree with Mark. It looks a bit deformed, but certainly not damaged. Cover it and move on.

sdodder voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: