Gas Piping (natural)

Old 07-17-01, 01:12 PM
s1nuber
Visiting Guest
I am trying to find information on the btu/hr or the cubic feet/hour ratings of natural gas piping. I know these values decrease with size of pipe, length of pipe and number of bends in the pipe. Does anyone know of a link or website that shows these charts for free? If this is not possible, then which code book and article will give me this information?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-01, 07:36 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
In My Professional Opinion

Hello s1nuber

A source of information can be your local building permits office or new gasline installation plumbing company.

Basically, if your home, regardless of square footage, will have 3 or more natural gas appliances, install 1 inch main feedline. This diameter pipe can supply gas to 5 gas appliances in a home up to around 2500 square feet.

If the home is over 2500 square foot, regardless of the number of gas appliances, install 1 and 1/4 inch diameter main gasline pipe.

The leads from the main supplyline {behind the walls} to the appliances should be no less then 3/4 inch diameter. This 3/4 inch line applies only to the pipes extending out from the wall, except for a forced warm air furnace. That supplyline from the mainline should be no less then 1 inch.

I do not have a specific flow rate chart to post for information on the topic nor do I know of any online web site with the information.

Regards.
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: