change in water pressure

Old 07-18-01, 08:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have noticed that my water pressure has changed since yesterday. When I purchased the house about 10 months ago, the home inspector measured the water pressure at 60 psi. I turned on an outside faucet at the front of the house and had it open all the way just to get "decent" flow to the hose. The house and plumbing are old - 50 years. I noticed that the toliet also seemed to have decreased pressure. I have checked the main shut off valve and it is fully open/on. Any ideas?

Old 07-18-01, 11:09 AM
Visiting Guest
City water or a well system?

Old 07-18-01, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
city water, Andy.

Old 07-18-01, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information on the source of your water.

You may have already considered this, but the first step I would take is to contact the local city water department, or whomever is supplying you with water. Don't call the office, but attempt to locate the field office and talk to one of the supervisors or actual field workers. You may find them very willing to come to your home and check this out for you. Generally, they would do this free.

It would seem most likely that the problem stems from the overall condition of the plumbing. It's age suggests that it is becoming restricted with minerals. The question appears to be where and to what extent.

However, whenever the change is sudden, the most likely culprit is a valve that has suddenly gotten filled with sediment that broke free somewhere in the system. If the entire house is affected, this valve would be located near the entry point of the water into the house. It may be a simple shutoff valve or a more sophisticated valve such as a pressure reducer. Other culprits can be the house's main plumbing and the buried supply line from the city main to your home.

If you are fairly handy, possess a supply of plumbers tools, and have enough time, you may want to tackle this problem yourself. It comes down to removing valves, fittings, and lengths of line so you can check them for any obstructions and their overal condition.

My main suggestion, though, is to seek as much help as you can from your water supplier.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-01, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you Andy. I hope it helps too. One last thing....Is a sudden drop of pressure ever related to a leak or broken pipe? If so, Is there anything I can listen for? I can't go under the house because I have spider releated fear issues. :-)

Old 07-19-01, 04:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Kelz.

Yes, a change in water pressure can easily be tied to a leak, though it takes a fairly large one to have much affect.

Fortunately, it is easy to check for running water without a trip in to what I assume is the crawl space for your home.

First, check all the water using appliances in your home, particularly the toilets. If you are not sure that the toilets are off, put your ear against the tank. If any water is running, you will hear it. Use this same technique outside by putting your ear against the outside hose bibbs. If there is any water running, you should hear it.

Finally, with all the water off, check your water meter. It will have a hand similar to the second hand on a watch. It should not be moving. If you can't find it you will need to contact your water supplier.

If you are uncomfortable with these procedures, I would again recommend you look to your supplier for assistance. Looking for leaks is something most would do as a routine matter.

Generally, if the leak is large enough to affect your overall pressure, you would probably know it either by hearing it or by the appearance of water somewhere where it should not be.

Old 07-19-01, 10:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Andy, again, i just wanted to say thank you for all of your help. I did get word from the field persons at the water company that they had shut off a main water line less than a quarter mile away from my house. This occurred on the very day that I noticed the pressure drop. If they are not doing any work now, I will go to the meter and see if it is running. I love this web site and will be back!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: