Frozen Copper Pipes Under Deck

Old 07-18-01, 04:13 PM
Visiting Guest
i installed a new faucet on my wood deck. about 20 ft. from the house. the 1/2" copper line comes out of the crawl space, through the rim joist, then a 90 degree L drops about 2 ft. to another L, then the 20 ft. run to the hose bib. i thought i had enough slope to allow the line to drain. last fall i turned off the line, 10 ft. inside from the rim joist, and left the hose bib open. but the bottom L must of had some water left in it, because it burst over the winter (michigan). i am ready to put the decking on and i won't have future access to the line itself, just the hose bib and the shut off in the crawl space.
i need a permanent solution PLEASE. not heat tape or anything electrical.

Old 07-18-01, 06:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have a water line that runs out of the house makes to 90 degree turns and then to a faucet of some sort. You shut it off in the crawl space and opened the faucet on the deck and it froze at one of the 90 over the winter. If this is right and it all has slope on it there is one thing i would add to fix the issue and that is an opening right after the shut off in the house. Like a tee and drain valve of some sort that is off during the summer and turned on when the pipe is drained. This will allow air so the line will completely drain. Setup like described it would be impossible for water to stay in the line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: