Undoing sweated copper joints

Old 07-18-01, 08:41 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm trying to move toilet water supply valve further over from center. I tried heating a copper joint at an elbow assuming it would melt the solder and come apart but nothing happened. Can soldered joints be undone. There is no suitable place to cut the pipe install a new set up.

Old 07-19-01, 11:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes they can.

I would think that since you say that you intend to take the elbow apart, it is a an area where you can get a grip on it and it can move.

First, the pipe and the elbow need to be dry inside. Any water will impede or prevent success.

Heat the joint you want to come apart, using a good quality handheld propane torch. Look for the solder at the joint to begin to soften and using pliers, attempt to move the joint while maintaining heat on the fitting.

If you can get the solder to melt, the joint will come apart. However, the remaining male end of the pipe will be covered with residual solder and be rough. Before you can reassemble this joint, all the old solder must be removed. This is generally done with emery cloth.

Old 07-19-01, 12:01 PM
Visiting Guest
The line wasn't dry the first time I tried. Thanks for your response. Now that I know it is "doable" I'll have another go at it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: