Toilet - Slow draining

Old 07-21-01, 04:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Toilet and tub in same bathroom drain slowly. In the tub it will drain rapidly for a few seconds and then seem to stop draining, only to once again rapidly drain for a few more seconds. This continues until tub is empty. Almost like an air lock or something. I have cleaned the drain trap for hair, etc.

The toilet will sometimes flush all down and out and sometimes it doesn't seem to have enough pressure to evacuate fully. I've put new float, etc. in as those parts went bad. Have had the problem before and after renovation of inards of tank.

Is there a clean out somewhere after these two drains join that I could check? The lower level ceiling is finished! All other drains in home perform as expected.

Sure hope you can help me on this one. I'm stumped.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-01, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If both the tub and toilet in the same bathroom drain slowly, it could be a partial blockage in the main drain line or a venting problem.
I would go up on the roof above that bathroom, clean any leaves or debris that you can reach out of the vent pipe, snake it from top to bottom with a plumber's snake (can be rented), and flush it with a water hose sprayer.
That should clear whatever is in the main drain/waste/vent stack where I think that your problem is.
Good Luck!

Old 07-21-01, 04:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Slow draining toilet and tub

Old Guy - What a great idea. I would never have thought of starting at the roof and working down. I always think of drains going down and thus would have started below. I'll sure try that today. Thanks so much for your great idea. Have a good one and God Bless.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: