tub drain clogged

Old 07-21-01, 10:26 AM
dswolff
Visiting Guest
Question

My shower/tub drain is clogged and I'm having a tough time accessing the problem. About a year ago, my plumber determined that the piece which connects the drain plug with the plug lifter/dropper (sorry I don't know the actual terms...) has fallen into the drain pipe and is collecting hair, etc. I've been using a plunger to try to keep the hair from collecting. I've also trying poking some wire into the drain to try to yank out the clog, but it seems pretty well fixed in there. Is there any way to access this clog? In the room behind the bathtub, there is a small panel which provides access to all the pipes, but the ones for my clogged bath tub are very far back and pretty much inaccessible. Is this a (expensive) job for the plumber or are there other options I can pursue before going that route?

Thanks.

Old 07-21-01, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Remove the two bolts (with large flathead screwdriver) of the overflow plate, and pull out whatever is still attached to your trip lever.
Create a set of "fish hooks" on the end of a piece of flexible steel cable or romex wire (14/2 or 3 with ground) with needle nose pliers, and fish out the drain plug part through the overflow pipe.
Fish out the hair through the tub drain.
Install a new drain plug assembly (it just attaches to the overflow plate trip lever with a cotter pin), and all should be o.k.
Your only alternative to the "fishing" is to take the overflow pipe and drain pipe apart, clean them out, and then replace the drain plug assembly.
Believe me..."Go Fish!" LOL
Good Luck!

Old 07-22-01, 04:21 PM
dswolff
Visiting Guest
thanks for the advice oldguy. i got some wire and went "fishing," only to realize that there was nothing in the overflow pipe. so my "fishing" cable hit the horizontal drain pipe and stopped (i had a tough time getting it to turn). when i fed the cable directly through the drain pipe, it went in about 8 inches or so (just past where it meets the overflow pipe) and seemed to hit a wall. (perhaps another pipe?) any ideas on what other options i have?

how difficult is it to replace the drain plug part? is there a way to remove it? i might have a better view if i could remove the t-shaped piece currently in there...

Old 07-22-01, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Here is a typical tub overflow and drain configuration.
Your's is probably similar.
Did the drain plug come out when you pulled out the overflow plate attachements? If not, it's still down in there.
You're going to have to take it apart to get it cleared out, since fishing for the plug and hair didn't seem to work for you.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: