maint. on drainage

Old 07-23-01, 07:20 AM
Visiting Guest
How can i yearly maint. my new house drainig system from back up's. & how can i get more water pressure.

Old 07-23-01, 08:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Is the house brand new or just new to you?
If it is new, it should have plastic drain pipes, and therefore no root problems should develop.
The best way to "maintain" a drainage system is to not put anything down any drain, including and especially toilets and disposers, that isn't supposed to go down them.
If you're on a septic system, the only mainteance required is to pump the tank every 3-5 years.
You can you use enzyme-based drain cleaners periodically, such as DrainCare, to eat out sludge and hair that causes sluggish draining.
To increase water pressure, if you're on public water, you may have a Pressure Reducing Valve that you can adjust higher.
If you're on a well and pump system, you may be able to set the pressure tank and pressure switch up to increase water pressure.
Good Luck!

Old 07-23-01, 08:47 AM
Visiting Guest
The house it's new to me. build in 1958, looks like all pipes are plastic or pvc that run to metal looking pipe.
I will try setting the water press. a little higher. but
what should i set it to. i got some type of water press.
gage on it.

Old 07-23-01, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If it was built in 1958, you probably have galvanized (grey steel) pipes somewhere in the mix (some type of metal).
Those will eventually ALL have to be replaced. It sounds like some of them have been.
They scale up inside, restricting water pressure, until they finally plug up completely. This most likely is your water pressure problem.
No matter what type of water supply that you have, if you have old galvanized pipes, you need to replace all of those first.
Good Luck!

Old 07-24-01, 06:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info old guy!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: