Mystery black plastic water supply pipe - what is it???

Old 07-23-01, 05:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

My water service from the city hook up started to leak in a big way yesterday... While I was out of town of course. I excavated the area of the leak an I uncovered a somewhat flexable black plastic pipe that was hose clamped to a fitting attached to the galvenized pipe into the house. There are no markings on the pipe of any kind, but it is more flexable than ABS. Does anyone know what this stuff is? Do I need to replace it or just tighten up the hose clamp and bury it again. It has been there for at least 8 years, and the previous homeowner worked for GTE and had access to some not generally available materials.

Thanks in advance, Bill
Old 07-23-01, 06:36 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

That black plastic flex pipe is commonly used for things such as irrigation systems, but it is also used by some for home water supply. It is connected by king nipples and hose clamps.
It is just an inexpensive (aka el cheapo) way to run water line.
The main problem with it is that the buried hose clamps will eventually rust, bust and leak, such as you experienced, or the line itself will freeze and burst easier.
Personally, I would replace it, AND especially the galvanized, with PVC for cold water supply and CPVC for hot water supply, OR with copper.
Check with your local Building Inspection Department for local plumbing code regarding water lines.
Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: