plumbing pipes are making a humming noise

Old 07-23-01, 09:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

The plumbing in my house for the last couple weeks has made a deep humming noise that lasts about 5-10 seconds. It may occur once every couple of days or 2-3 times in one day. The sound happens whether water is on or not. I thought it might be due to city water pressure and called the public works department. They state it maybe air in my plumbing pipes? What does this mean? Have you heard of this before? Is it a costly repair? Can I do something to fix this problem or do I need the help of a plumber?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-01, 02:05 PM
Visiting Guest
I've had the same exact problem. It used to happen only when a hose was turned on, but now it's happening with no water on.

Have you found a solution? I'd appreciate the help.

Old 08-06-01, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If it were air in the line, your faucets usually would be spurting or the water would be "milky" due to tiny air bubbles in the water. Air in a line will usually go away on its own with normal use.
It probably is a high pressure problem.
You need to check your house water pressure with a pressure gauge with a hose bibb attachment:

You can find them at most any hardware or plumbing store.
If the pressure is above 55-60 psi, that is likely your noise problem.
If you're on public water, you probably have a Pressure Reducing Valve in the main line at your house that can be adjusted, repaired or replaced to solve it.
Good Luck!