Stripped Shower Knob

Old 07-24-01, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

The hot water handle on my shower is broken. We tried to put it back on and found that it was stripped. We have to use a tool to shut the hot water off and turn it on. We need to get this fixed soon as we don't want to have more problems. My real question is can this be done with out blasting a hole in the wall? Can this be done easy, although no job is easy is this something that can be fixed ourself? Please help me. Thanks a bunch

Old 07-24-01, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Easy fix.
Just pry off the center cap and unscrew the knob screw that holds it on, and go get another new set for the hot and cold handles.
Inexpensive, too.
Good Luck!

Old 07-25-01, 04:55 PM
Visiting Guest
But the little knob that it screws into is stripped will not hold how do i replace that so that the new handels will catch. Love the help and thanks a bunch for helping me with this

Old 07-25-01, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If the valve stem that the handle is screwed onto is stripped, you will have to replace it.
Turn the water off, remove the valve, take it to a hardware store and get an exact duplicate (and new handles).
To remove a shower valve assembly, you will probably need a set of valve sockets to find the one that fits your valve:

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: