constant sound of running water

Old 07-24-01, 08:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

i have the sound of water constantly running through my pipes in my home. i've turned off all of my faucets and still hear it. i then turned off what i believe to be the main valve to the house (i believe this because i checked all the faucets with no pressure whatsoever.) this sound then disappeared. i then turned it back on and the sound returned. any suggestions on what to do next? as a sidenote i have very little hot water coming out of my shower and faucets. (luckily i live in the desert southwest and cool water is appreciated. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-25-01, 06:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yep, sounds like you have a water leak.
Are you on a slab? Crawlspace?
You can look at your water meter for a small dial or triangle. With everything OFF, but the main cutoff, if that little dial or triangle moves at all, you have a leak past that cutoff. When a faucet is ON, it will spin rapidly.
Hot water pressure is determined by the cold water going into the water heater. I would look at the cold water line into the heater and the hot water lines out of it for the leak. This is probably where it is, based on your description of the problem.
Good Luck!

Old 07-25-01, 09:09 PM
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply old guy. i checked the meter outside ans your suspicions wre right. i think i've narrowed it down to our main bathroom. when i put my ear to the hot water faucet, it seems more significant than anywhere else in the house. my only fear is if i tear the wall apart to investigate and it's not there then i've just cost myself wasted money. any suggestions on how to determine this withouth ripping a hole in the wall? the house is on a slab so i can't go to the basement to look. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-26-01, 01:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If it were leaking in the wall, you would see the wall or floor getting wet.
Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a hot water leak in your slab, which means that the concrete will have to be cut or broken up to get to it to repair it.
You have two $ things running constantly until you have it repaired...the leaking water and the power to heat it. Sorry.
Good Luck!

Old 07-26-01, 03:32 PM
Visiting Guest
old guy, thanks for the advice! i cut a hole in the wall where i thought the leak was and had no luck. so, i decided to call a plumber. he found the the pipe by process of elimination, capped it and ran a new one through the ceiling. the whole time i was worried about the cost, but to my relief it was only $200. once again thanks for your replies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: