new construction first steps

Old 07-25-01, 07:18 PM
Visiting Guest
We're building an addition. Two stories (walk out lower level and main) Permanent Wood Foundation w/ crushed stone footings.
First question: What size for the main line under the floor which will drain two floor drains, a toilet, bidet and sinks?
Second question: How far below the slab and how much slope?
Third question: How much slope in floor of mechanical room and shower room to the two floor drains?
P.S. Is there a web site which has the codes listed out so I can look up the answers to my questions?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-01, 01:33 AM
Cool

RevDavid,
If you're building an addition, you will need a Building Permit from your local Building Inspection Department.
They can tell you what your local codes are (codes vary from place to place) for structural, plumbing, electrical, etc.
Start there before you do a thing, or you may to run into major headaches with them.
They have to approve what you plan to do, inspect and approve what you do as you do it, and at the end of the project...A to Z.
In many places, homeowners can do all of the work on their own home as long as it is done to local code. However, in some places, doing certain things (electrical, for instance) may require a licensed third party.
Good Luck!

Old 07-31-01, 07:55 PM
Visiting Guest
plumbing first steps

Thanks for the reply. I've already gotten my permits and talked with the inspectors. We are allowed to do pretty much everything as homeowners in Michigan. The state has recently adopted uniform codes using the COBA, NEC and ... I forgot the plumbing letters. Anyway,
I need answers to the questions I first posted and one additional. Since I assume clean-outs are required for drains, where and how do I locate the clean-out for the main line which will run under the slab? Here's a simple diagram
shower mechanical
toilet floor floor cleanout?
_______| |___________| |__________| |_____/ /
| __________________________________________/
| |
| |
| |
to
septic
tank

Old 07-31-01, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
plumbing first steps

Sorry about the diagram. It didn't come out the way it looked in the data entry window.

Each of the openings represents a fixture or floor drain
the opening farthest from the septic tank is my guess for a cleanout location. The opening closest to the tank would be the toilet.

Thanks