Well sand and water filter install

Old 07-27-01, 06:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Private well with one pressure tank servicing the house and the other servicing the shop/barn. Had to install a new tank cross on the shop pressure tank and discovered an accumulation of sand at the water inlet/outlet pipe. Bought a whole-house water filter to install and the directions indicate to install it on the water supply after the pressure tank. Can I install it on the supply side before the pressure tank? Or will that somehow affect the pressure negatively?

Also, can I raise or lower the submersible pump in the 48 foot well to help alleviate the amount of sand being drawn up?

Thanks.

Old 07-27-01, 09:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The pressure tank controls the pressure switch and the pump, and you don't want to install a filter on their (well) side.
You hit the nail on the head why...it will negatively affect the pressure.
I don't think that raising or lowering your submersible to try to avoid sand will help much. It was put down at that depth for a reason (your water table), and you may create more problems than you solve.
Your best bet is to just install the filter on the supply side, as per the directions, and keep the filter changed regularly and use the same exact type of filter. If you get one with smaller microns, it wil clog up faster and restrict your water pressure in the house.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: