Replacing an

Old 07-28-01, 06:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Whenever my clothes washer is in the discharge mode, water flows up over the discharge pipe and runs on the floor. It seems very little of the water is actually flowing through the discharge pipe. I've checked the iron pipe (18" high from the point it meets the "S" trap) and there is no obstruction(s). A professional plumber when clearing my main drain to the street suggested I replace the iron "S trap" with (I believe he said "U" trap). I have removed the 18" section of the washer discharge pipe, and the "S" trap does appear to have gunk in it, I've removed as much as possible, unfortunately, I cannot get the drain plug to budge. I'd like to replace the iron and go with PCV. Is this a good idea? If so, what size piping and configurations are normally used? Do you think replacing the S trap will allow water to flow like it should (assuming no other obstructions are in the line)? Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice you can provide!
Old 07-28-01, 04:09 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Replace the washer standpipe with 1.5" PVC and a U-shaped "P" trap.
Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: