no hot water coming out of the tap

Old 07-30-01, 06:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

hi, my problem is this, I have a electric boiler which seems to be workng fine, but after my bath this morning, when I used the hot tap downstairs, a trickle of water came out, some loud splutter noises and thats it! the same happens when I try to get hot water out of the upstairs taps. I have switched of the boiler(just in case it overheats) We live in a 10 year old house so I cant see age being the problem.
please help
niky

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-01, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

By "boiler", are you talking about a home heating system that also heats your water, or are you talking about an electric or gas water heater?

Old 07-30-01, 08:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi , By boiler I mean, it is an elecric powerd water heater,it is only for the hot wter in the house not a central heating system
thanks niky x

Old 07-30-01, 09:03 AM
Cool

You may have a deteriorated dip tube that has disintegrated and is clogging the pipes. There has been a problem with those.
A dip tube carries the cold water supply to the bottom of the tank in the water heater.
Good luck!

Old 07-30-01, 09:48 AM
Lightbulb

Good job on shutting off the water heater, way to save yourself some money on repairs of burnt out elements!!!!
There is another thing to check and that is the checkballs in the inlet/outlet nipples of the water heater. I have had these things stick and do the same thing, no hot water anywhere in the house. Some times you can determine which side it is by: Open the drain valve on the water heater, if you get water (under pressure) from here, it is the outlet of the heater that is clogged. If you don't get water out of here, than the inlet side is clogged up.
This may not sound like the best thing to do, however, it works. Turn on a hot water faucet in the house, make sure the inlet water valve to the heater is turned on. Now for the fun part, take a hammer and tap on the nipples going in/out of the water heater. Not real hard, but with enough force to break the balls free. Personally, I have never caused any damage to a water heater by doing this and have smacked a few pretty hard.
When the balls break free you will hear the water running through the heater.

P.S. "Old Guy" don't beat me up to much on this back woods way of doing things.....it works!!!

Old 07-30-01, 12:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

ok husbands looking fo the hammer now! wish him luck

Old 07-30-01, 01:01 PM
T2H,
I'd be the last one to "beat anybody up" for doing ANYTHING that works. Your suggestion sounded good to me, although I've never tried it.
The pros (I'm not one) in various forums in here get me every once in a while for sharing MY backwoods way of getting things done.
I do things that pros would never do ("whatever works" is my motto), but then again, I have no pride. LOL
Good Luck with the hammer taps, niky!
Mike

Old 07-31-01, 12:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

hi,
well we tried the hammer but I think my husband was little worried that he might damage the tank , he is a bit heavy handed you know!,
anyway we have a plumber coming around somtime today so i will write you both back to let you know what the problem actualy was!
thanks for your help , this is a great web site I have a feeling I will be using it alot
hugs
niky x

Old 08-07-01, 05:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

hi both,
Well the plumber has been and gone , It was not a major problem in the slightest! Infact all he did to remidy it was put his hand over the end of the tap, turn on the thing let th pressure build and low and behold hot water! Turned out that it was just an airlock afterall, lucky he is a family friend so there was no charge, well thanks for all your helpfullness anyway
hugs and happy plumbing
niky xx

Old 08-07-01, 08:56 AM
Talking

Good deal. Thanks for letting us know what went on. I must say I have never "fixed" a problem like that. It would make me ask, how does an air lock occur in a pressurized system? Old Guy, you ever heard of this or what causes it?
You all have a fantanistic day!

Old 08-07-01, 09:33 AM
Cool

Nope.
Never dealt with that one before.