Re-route Washer water line hook up

Old 07-30-01, 07:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Our washer is hooked up in a small closet in our kitchen...hate it! We would prefer to move the washer into the garage. The water heater is also located in the garage so we are wondering how to go about tapping into the pipes to make this happen. Our initial thought was to tap into the incoming water supply pipe near the area where it enters the water heater for cold water and then tapping into the return pipe out of the water heater for the hot water. We would route the pipe over to a designed area in the garage and include the required faceut hook ups. Then again, maybe our idea is all wet. Would appreciate any constructive feed back.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-01, 10:42 AM
Cool

That is exactly the way to do it.
Tap into the cold water supply line going into the heater, and into the hot water line coming out of it, and run them to your washing machine.
How are you going to handle the washer standpipe drain? And I assume that there is a 110v outlet to plug the washer into where you plan to put it.
Good Luck!

Old 07-31-01, 07:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Yikes, I forgot about the drain...that might take a professional, but I do have the electrical outlet for the washer and dryer covered. Any suggestions on tackling the drain?

Thanks

Old 08-01-01, 08:32 AM
Cool

Without knowing the layout of your existing plumbing, I can't help you with the drain.
All that I can tell you is that the standpipe needs a trap at the bottom of it, and the drain line from the trap to a connection in the existing drain pipe system needs to slope at least 1/4" per linear foot.
You can tap into the existing drain line with a sanitary T.
That should take care of the washer.
How are you going to vent the dryer to the outside?
Good Luck!

Old 08-01-01, 09:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply and the added info. You've convinced me that the drain should be left to a professional. As far as the dryer vent, it looks like a pretty simple hole cut through the wall and then installing the appropriate vent cover, right?

Old 08-02-01, 05:16 AM
Cool

Right.
Good Luck!