Help with Sewer gas smell....

Old 07-31-01, 08:14 PM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
My buddy came over and installed a pedastool sink and a toilet in the new construction area of my basement. I immediately noticed sewer gas smell. I let it go for a few days and it persisted so I called him back. Today he pulled the toilet and replaced the number 3 wax seal with a number 10. He then took care of a small leak in the sink waste line. 4 hours later, I can still smell the sewer gas. What do you think it is coming from? Smells like it is coming from the base of the toilet.

Please lend me some of your knowledge. I would greately appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I kind of suspect it is the plastic seal that screws into the concrete. He says it can't be.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-01, 08:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A sink has a trap in the drain under it, and a toilet has its own built-in trap to prevent sewer gas.
If both traps are full of water, the sewer gas should not be getting back into the bathroom, unless the sink and toilet drain line are improperly vented.
If they are not properly vented, water draining through the system will siphon out the water that is supposed to stand in the traps.
Or, if they are properly vented, the vent pipe on the roof above the bathroom may be clogged. Go up on the roof, clean out any leaves, debris, birdnest, etc. that you can reach, and flush the vent pipe with a water hose sprayer. If it is clogged badly enough, you may have to rent a plumber's snake and snake it from top to bottom.
Good Luck!

Old 08-01-01, 10:55 AM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response. Could the gas be coming from under the toilet between the plastic floor plate and the concrete? He had trouble installing this item and I suspect it.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-01, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The plastic toilet floor flange should be solidly glued to the drain pipe, and bolted to the floor to keep it and the toilet (which is bolted to IT) from moving.
If there is any leak in the drain line or wax seal between the toilet and the flange, it can allow leaking and sewer gas to get back in.
The flange should be sitting on top of (and bolted to) the floor. If the flange is below floor level (because of added tile flooring, etc.), you can either raise the flange (if possible) OR double up on the wax seals to seal the gap of extra space.
If you double up the wax seals, use one with a plastic flange on it on top.
Good Luck!