Not enough hot water

Old 08-01-01, 06:43 AM
Visiting Guest
I just moved into a new apt - 2nd & 3rd floors of an older house. We've been having problems w/ hot water - not enough to take 2 showers in the AM. It also take a long time to heat up. So, I bumped up the settings on both of the water heaters in the basement (not sure which one's mine and which is the 1st floor tenants!). This morning was a little better. Still took a long time to get warm, but I had a pretty warm shower, but my fiancee ran out halfway through. Both were 40 gallon tanks. Can I bump them up again or is it something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-01, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Set all upper and lower heater tstats to 140.
The distance from them, of course, means a delay in first getting fully hot water.
A 40-gallon heater should be way more than enough for two showers (a heater heats about 70% of its total capacity to the set temp).
There may be a problem (tstat, element, etc.) with the heater itself. If setting them up doesn't solve the problem, ask the landlord to have a plumber check them out.
Good Luck!

Old 08-02-01, 05:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I figured out which heater was ours and found the manual. It was set at about 100-110 degrees. I bumped it up to about 130 degrees - no more problem with the temp. However, there is still about a minute delay before the water get hot in any spigot, not just the shower. You mentioned two tstats. The only thing I see it one dial on the bottom that's marked with an arrow (equal to 120 degrees) then an A, B, C then Very Hot. I don't see anything else. What am I looking for? thanks!

Old 08-02-01, 07:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You must have a gas water heater (one temp control).
I was speaking of an electric (upper and lower (two) tstats and elements).