Toilet Draining Very Slowly

Old 08-01-01, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I live in a bungalow (built in 1958) with two bathrooms - one on the main floor, and one in the basement.

I flushed, the toilet in the basement and it fills almost to the point of overflowing, then drains very slowly. When the toilet finally drains, the water stays very low and air bubbles come to the surface.

I tried using a plunger to see if there was some kind of blockage, but it hasn't made a difference.

After plunging the downstairs toilet, one of us went upstairs and flushed the upstairs toilet, at which point a large amount of air bubbles came rushing to the surface of the downstairs toilet.

Does it sound as though there is a blockage? Should we try liquid drano? How can we rectify this problem?

Please Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-01, 06:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Do NOT use Drano in a toilet.
It will dissolve your wax seal under it, and you will have an even bigger problem.
It sounds like you may have a blockage in the basement toilet.
Toilets have their own built-in traps.
Anything from toothbrushes, feminine products, plastic toys, etc. can easily get hung up in them.
Get a crank TOILET AUGER and feed the end of it into the toilet drain, and crank away to try to clear the blockage.
If you can't break it up through the bowl, you will have to pull the toilet up, and auger it from underneath to try to clear it out.
Another problem could be a blockage in the basement toilet drain line itself, but try the auger first.
Good Luck!

Old 08-01-01, 07:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply.

I will give that a try. Thanks again