Plumbing mess

Old 08-02-01, 09:37 AM
Visiting Guest
I have multiple problems that I do not if they are related or not.

First, my house is 20 years old, on a slab foundation, city water and sewer.

My disposal backs-up easily and when it is run, gas smell come up through the sinks (I have a double sink, as well as a single one on an island, in the kitchen). I tried snaking the line, which helps only temporarily. Not the disposal does not run at all, just hums.

Second issue. I have water seemingly coming up through the floor of my laundry room. I took off the access trap in the floor and it seems to run fine. I check the water meter and it does not move when the water is shut-off at the spigots. I have no idea where the water is coming from because it travel along the seams of the linoleum flooring.
I have been told that it might be a cracked or separated drain pipe and that I will have to break up the floor to find/fix it. Ay thoughts before I file a claim on my insurance because I can't tackle that.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-01, 10:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your insurance may not cover a leaking drain pipe, which is apparently your problem. Repairing a leak in or under a slab can be difficult and expensive. Check with your homeowners insurance company.
As for the sewer gas smell, it could be coming from the leaking drainpipe, or if it is coming from the sink drains, it could be caused by a partially clogged vent.
Go up on the roof above the kitchen and make sure that the vent pipe is clear. Flush it with a water hose sprayer.
If your disposer is humming, it's probably shot, but go to the Appliance-Electric forum and ask jeff1 about it. He's the resident expert on those.
Good Luck!

Old 08-03-01, 05:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Partial victory

The disposal was jammed by a small piece of metal that had wedged itself between the spinning plate at the bottom of the disposal and the side wall. I used a skewer to dislodge it, and now it works. However, the floor is still leaking.