Replacing steam heat plumbing

Old 08-02-01, 01:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
We have an 80 year old home with boiler/radiator heating. We would like to remodel the basement and replace the old low hanging iron water lines with copper lines so that we can finish off the ceiling. Two questions: What size pipe should we use and how do you attach the copper tubing to the risers?

Old 08-02-01, 03:09 PM
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 261
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It seems like you could use the same size. A great way to attach to copper is with a Dialectric union. Make sure the union is accessible.

Good Luck
Old 08-02-01, 05:42 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

You should use same-size heavy duty copper pipe (Type K) for this application, I believe. Double-check with your Building Inspection Department for local Plumbing Code.
This is a di-electric union that John mentioned that you should use between two different types of metal to prevent electrolysis corrosion:
Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: