blowing out the top element in our water heater

Old 08-03-01, 06:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Help we have had no hot water in 7 months. Our old hot water heater had been blowing the top element, so we bought a new water heater. Now that water heater is blowing the top element. It will bend or brake the element when ever we start to use the hot water. We have had an electrition check it out, and everything was fine. The plumer did not find any thing wrong. So we had our well checked, and had the pipes replaced and the well pump is still good. This all started with the water heater when we turned the temp down because we did not want our young son to burn himself.

Can anyone help me, my husband is about ready to remove the heater and distroy it. I really do not want to boil water on the stove for the reast of my life. Help

Old 08-03-01, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

This problem sounds to me like the water heater is not getting good water pressure.
If the heater tank is not full of water when the upper element is turned on by the upper thermostat, it will fry the upper element, as I think that you are describing.
The cold water supply (cut-off) valve at the top of the water heater may be restricting the water flow.
The well/pump system or the pipes (galvanized by any chance?) may be restricting the water flow.
I don't think that it is the water heater.
Good luck! Mike

Old 08-07-01, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

You did not specify how long you had you replacement heater. If the bottom element goes out in catostrophic manner such that there could be an electrical path to the top element, the top element could continue to burn out. The tank is grounded and glass lining or lime deposites could channel current to the top element where it is destroyed by "electro deplating". You may not be aware that bottom element is out since the top element kicks in when the top of the tank is below temperature, therefore you would always have some hot water. When the top element blows and the temperature of the tank drops below the top set point, then the bottom element is locked out even if it is good since most heaters have electrical switch to prevent both from being on at the same time and drawing too much total current.

Old 08-19-01, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
water heater

Thank you very much for all your advise. We checked into all of the options that both of you gave us. We still have no hot water. We did get the new hot water heater two months ago. Thank you for the help

Old 08-19-01, 07:24 PM
Cool

You are getting total waterflow to a new water heater, and it isn't working?
You didn't answer about the galvanized piping?
Give us more info.

Old 08-22-01, 04:27 PM
Visiting Guest
water heater

The pipes where not galvanized. We found a pipe that had a small leak. It is located in the cement under the tub (our house has no basment, and is on a cement slab). Do you think that this may be causing air in the pipes? This may cause air to get into the water heater, and blow out the element?
we are also going to check out our water heaters thermas stats. We think that that before we had the well pipes replaced the thurmasstat might of burned out when the elements did. What do you think? Thank you for responding to my replys.

Old 08-27-01, 06:24 PM
Cool

Is that leaking pipe supplying cold water to your water heater by any chance?
The heater tank must be full, or it will definitely fry an element.
You may have a problem with a thermostat, but I still think that your problem is due to poor water supply to the heater.
You need to repair all leaking pipes first.
Good luck!

Old 09-06-01, 02:34 AM
Visiting Guest
First a basic suggestion:

When you first fix the element and try out the heater do you make sure that it is filled AND all the air has been released, BEFORE switching on the heater. In otherwords you must wait until the water heater is full, and while it is filling you must have the highest tap in the house open so that the air can escape. Otherwise the element will be heating AIR and this will KILL the element, they burn out very quickly.

If this does not fix your problems then read on...

While you are figuring out what is wrong here (what is going wrong is you have air in the top half of your heater) is what you can do to get some hot water:

Have the electrician re-wire your hot water heater so that the BOTTOM ELEMENT comes on first instead of the top element.

Normally an electric hot water heater will turn the top element on, until the the top half of the heater is warm, then it will allow the bottom element to switch on.

Mitch

Old 09-06-01, 04:29 PM
Visiting Guest
We thank all of you for the advice you gave us, we finally figured out the problem.
1-well pipe had a hole in it
2-water sofener needed to be replaced
3-new water heater thermastats, and elements
4-and we had to replace the leeking pipe
The problem started with the well and I guess the rest went after that. We have been filling the water heater to the top. But thank you for the advice (mitchv).

We now have hot water, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a big help you have been old guy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: