Dirt in Toilet

Old 08-03-01, 08:29 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in a rural area but am on city water. Yesterday I noticed there was dirt, small pebbles and even a piece of grass in my toilet in my beauty shop next to my house. I called a plumber friend of mine and asked him how this could have happened. He said it could be that the water company had been digging up some lines somewhere nearby. I have not seen any dirt in my toilet at home nor have the neighbors........all on the same water line. My father found a lot of water on the ground behind the shop where the drain is located going into the septic tank. He went under the shop and pulled the insulation down to find that the pipes had come loose under the floor. He is working on getting that back together.

My question is: Could this dirt have gotten into the bottom of my toilet bowl from the water company digging up some lines and not have gotten into anyone else's toilet? Someone made the suggestion that it could have been a snake or a large rat that could have come up through the pipes into the toilet bowl since the pipes under the floor were no longer connected together.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-01, 11:16 AM
Cool

The latter sounds most likely to me, but could have anyone dumped a pocket or pants cuff with the dirt, gravel, and grass in them?
It's highly unlikely that gravel or grass could travel through the toilet tank water inlet valve assembly, from a water line.
If it wasn't dumped in the bowl, it could well have been brought in through the broken drain pipe by a rat or snake. The drainline would be 3" or 4" in diameter. Who knows?
Set a rat trap just in case.
Good Luck!

Old 08-04-01, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
I am 100% positive that no one dumped anything into the toilet. I did some cleaning before I locked the shop one afternoon and the next afternoon when I opened the shop the dirt was in the toilet bowl. I guess I must have had an unwelcome visitor come up through the drain pipe sometime in between. I certainly hope the visitor left the same way he came but just in case......I'm going to look for that big rat trap that I have stored somewhere. Don't have any idea how to catch a snake, though.

Thanks........I think!!!