Tunneling under driveway

Old 08-04-01, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to tunnel under my driveway (20ft) to lay down new pipe for my main water line. I have tried using a hose attachment tunneler. I attached it to a 20 foot long pice of 1" PVC then connected the hose to the PVC. My thought was to leave the 1" PVC under the driveway once I tunneled through, then thread the 3/4" copper pipe through the PVC. Problem though, I got about 1/2 way under the driveway when the sand gave way and collapsed onto the PCV. It's stuck! I have tried to get it out, or push it through but it's not going anywhere.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on a better way to tunnel under a 20 ft driveway.

Thanks, JKF

Old 08-04-01, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Call your local water people and get them to do it. They have the equipment, experience, and expertise.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 08-04-01, 06:49 PM
J
What a coincidence! I just tunneled under my neighbor's driveway today with a water hose duct taped to 3/4 PVC Schedule 40. No problem at all, but that's in Houston. We have no rock here, only muck.

Hi Mike.

James, Invest in a new piece of pipe. It can work.

John

Old 08-04-01, 06:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice. I did just that John, and this time I made it through!
JKF

Old 08-05-01, 01:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Hi John!
Wonders never cease. Great idea! You did it again.
I've never tunneled under a driveway. Only have seen the local water people do it with a machine.
(My driveway is an "Old Downeast" (NC) type. Oyster shells and pinestraw. I just plow right through it. LOL)
Later. Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: