how to fix slow leak shower head in enclosed shower unit/one handle knob

Old 08-10-01, 09:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

We've had a slow leak from the shower head for a couple months. The knob is a single captriage type (I think)in an enclosed single shower unit(some type of pre-fab plastic fitted). What inside needs to be replaced, how do we get to it, do we need to remove the whole shower unit to get to the stems?

Also, the drain pan has a hole due to the leaky shower head, and has caused some rotting of the floor and a hole in the heating cooling duct that is under it..(we live in a bi-level and the pipes are fitted above the furnace and duct work)..not quite sure how extensive the damage is to the floor..just some molding and warping beside the edge of the stall and the base boards..the linolium is also a bit up so you can see some minimal rotting)...would it be more appropriate to remove the entire shower to complete the enitire job..does it depend on the extent of the rotting? If so, How does one remove an entire shower they reinstall well or will we need to replace the whole unit?

We're very handy, but this is the first time we've done any major plumbing. We are having a contractor replace the drain pan/pipe attached, but are left with the duct work and carpentry. please help!
Old 08-11-01, 07:13 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,398
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
In My Opinion

Hello Dubsax and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

I am not a plumber. However, I noticed your question in the forum and thought to reply with general assistance suggestions.

A leaky shower head in a shower stall isn't all that difficult providing the cartridge can be removed from the faucet valve. Such isn't always the case but worth trying.

Remove the faucet lever. Apply a wrench to the exposed hex nut and a backup wrench to the faucet body. Hold the faucet body in place and turn the wrench applied to the cartridge and remove it.

Take the cartridge to the local hardware store and buy an exact OEM replacement. Follow the installation instructions precisely.

If the cartridge is still available, the valve body still serviceable and your even able to remove the cartridge, all is well. Not always the case. Often times the entire faucet valve needs to be replaced.

Pertaining to the shower stall, wood damage, etc. often times it's best to allow the professionals to correct those problems. May be required to remove the entire shower assembly, make the repairs to the ducting, wood, etc and replace the shower unit with a new unit.

And there you have it..."My Two Cents"...

Regards & Good Luck
A Forum Moderator

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: