Water line outside?

Old 08-13-01, 05:08 PM
Visiting Guest
I want to run water out to my garage which is allready built,it will be around 70 ft from the house till it enters the garage, I understand I have to be under the frost line which is I think 3 ft, but when I go to enter the garage how do I go from 3 ft in the ground to floor level w/out it freezing, and is there a way I can enter the side of the garage or do I have to chip out some of the footer to enter inside the garage.... thanks

Old 08-13-01, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I assume that you just want to run a cold water line, but if you're ever thinking of running both hot and cold, when you rent the trenching machine for the cold (PVC), you might as well run the hot(CPVC)and stub it off at both ends, or go ahead and hook both up to a sink.
You could probably drain the sink into a drywell sump.
The machine rental will cost more than the pipe.
The 12" to 18" wide edge of the garage footing will most likely be much thicker than the floor of the garage, so I'd bring it up through the floor OR up the outside and through the wall (easiest).
If you bring it up through the floor, I would just concrete in a larger section of pipe to run the water line through the concrete (if you pour it back).
If the garage isn't heated, you need to plan a way to drain the line(s) for the winter (air pressure or gravity), especially the section above the frost line level.
Does your house have a basement or a crawlspace?

Old 08-13-01, 05:53 PM
Visiting Guest
It has a basement, I was told because of the distance that I would lose alot of hot water temp, so I planned on putting a small hot water heater in the garaqe. I would like to keep water supply on at all times, for washing the car, and washing up after working in the garage, plus I would like to put a urinal in the garage also, so I would like to have constant supply even in winter, Is this possible with bringing the water line up outside the garage?

Old 08-13-01, 07:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes. You could run the pipe in an insulated pressure-treated wood box and/or with heat tape in the box above frost level, and insulate the small water heater, AND insulate and heat the garage above freezing temp.
I imagine that you have prolonged cold weather in Toledo, and otherwise the lines will probably freeze and burst.
You may be able to drain sink water (gray water)into a sump, but if you plumb any type of urinal, etc., it most likely must be properly drained into the sewer or septic system. (Check with your Health Department and Building Inspection Department for the local code on this.)
Good Luck!

Old 08-14-01, 06:43 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, when you lay your pipe make sure to run a good size diameter. If it too small you lose a lot of pressure at the end. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: