cutting a 4

Old 08-14-01, 07:43 PM
tamtinyus
Visiting Guest
I have expenienced 6-7 times of main drain block since I bought the house six years ago. I hated to pay $70 to Roto Rotor each time as I already did to clear the block. So I want to insert a PVC T with an outlet to let my power snake get into the pipe. The T will be next to the wall of the house. But I have to cut a segment of the 4 inch cast iron pipe under the ground in order to insert the T. What is the good way to do it? I already asked the local rental centers for a chain wrench pipe cutter but none of the centers has it. Any advice (I have 7" hand held grinder, 7 1/4" circular saw with metal cutting blade, propane torch and some chisels)?

T.Y.

Old 08-15-01, 08:00 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably the easiest since you can not get the chain cutter is a sawsall. A metal blade in a skill saw would work as well. Do not use a chisel, hammer of anything like that. A torch does nothing to cut cast iron. Cast iron is brittle so be gentle and use something that is designed to cut metal.

Good Luck

Old 08-16-01, 06:48 AM
tamtinyus
Visiting Guest
Hi John,

Thank you very much for your ideas and keep me from fooling with the pipe. I just bought some sawzall blades and yes I have a skill saw with metal cutting blade and a good recipatory saw.

T.Y.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: