air bladder pressure tank

Old 08-17-01, 08:09 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We have a deep well about 11 years old with a bladder-type pump. Recently we cut off and drained all water and re-routed well water through new pipes to outside faucets, installing cut-offs (from county water)at each outside faucet so that we could use well water outside without having it run through house pipes. It is so full of minerals that it clogs up the pipes. Does that make any sense?

Since that time, about two weeks, we have had low to none pressure in outside lines and pump clicks on and off every one or two seconds. Maybe it didn't start out that fast but yesterday thats what it was when I got my husband down there to check things out. Yesterday, for the first time, and I run outside water a lot,it began leaking from what looks like it might be a pressure release just along side the drain faucet.

When we attached a hose to the drain faucet, it wouldn't drain with electricity off and when we turned it on, suddenly outside sprinklers ran full force!

We thought we had too much pressure, but when my husband tried to check air pressure, water seeped out, no air.
I have read through all these threads for 1 1/2 hours now without seeing this mentioned. Is there a hole in the bladder? So its all water and no air in there. I always thought it was air only. How would water get in? Should I go buy a new tank or can my handy-dandy husband and I fix this?

And by the way, this is my first post, but I can been very impressed with how useful and to the point this site is. Sorry to be so long-winded, but all these points seem important.

Thanks
Linda

Old 08-17-01, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes, the air bladder has failed, which is why your pump is cycling, and water is coming out of the air bladder.
Replace the pressure tank. It should come factory-set to 28 psi, or two psi below your cut-on pressure (if you're at the 30-50 psi cut-on/cut-off pressure).
They are easy to plumb in.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: