This Old House's Grease

Old 08-17-01, 07:29 PM
Visiting Guest
My friend Bill lives in a house built in about 1920. Apparently it has a greasecatch . The drain from the kitchen sink goes down into the basement, then elbows out thru the wall and underground into the greasecatch and then out to the sewer line.

We can't see the greasecatch, but if it is like others in the neighborhood, it is a brick stucture about 3 feet square with a metal lid. To clean it, you would lift the lid off and shovel the stuff out.

The problem is that there is a leak at the elbow and also it drains very slowly.

The theory is the the greasecatch has filled up and it is backing up.

The complication is that, sometime in the past 80 years, someone poured a driveway over the greasecatch. So the only way to get to it is to jackhammer thru the driveway.

I want to know if there is another to clean out the greasecatch. Perhaps some new technology can be applied to this, suction of some sort.

At the elbow there is access to the section of pipe that goes into the greasecatch, so that part could be snaked, but that doesn't get the 'grease' out.

Anybody?

Old 08-17-01, 08:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would call a pro and describe the situation and ask them if they can do it. If they say yes ask them how. This will provide you with your answer and much insight.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: