plumbing

Old 08-18-01, 04:05 PM
Visiting Guest
i have low water pressure, i just today changed a galvanized adapter to plastic, this was the adapter from the black plastic inlet pipe to the copper house piping. the galvanized adapter was almost completely clogged, changing it helped some with the water pressure, but it is still very weak. any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-01, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You may have other galvanized king nipples (the black hose connectors that are pipe clamped) in the line.
If one galvanized connector was clogged, most likely any others would be, too.
Maybe the only way to solve it is to put in a new PVC supply line from the public meter (or well) to your house.
If you're on public water, ask them what the pressure is, and also check to see if you might have a Pressure Reducing Valve that needs adjusting, repair, or replacement.
If you're on a well, check your cut-on/cut-off pressure.
Good Luck!

Old 08-18-01, 05:32 PM
Visiting Guest
low water pressure

old guy, thanks for the reply, i had thought about replacing the entire line, i am on city water supply so pressure should be good, we have an air bladder tank which boosts the pressure, reads 49lbs.,should it be more??? the house was originally on a well which was the purpose of the tank, without the tank pressure is nil!!! would a jet pump possibly be a good idea.??? thanks for your help.

Old 08-18-01, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

An air bladder pressure tank is used to control the on/off pressure switch of a well pump, and I'm not sure what it would have to do with a public water system.
If the gauge is reading 49 psi, then that's what your public water pressure is at the pressure tank, and supposedly in the rest of the house. (Is this pressure tank at the house or out in a former well house?)
Most residential pumps are 20-40 or 30-50 psi cut-on/cut-off, so the 49 is o.k., IF that is the constant water pressure in the house.
It may be less due to the old black line galvanized king nipple restrictions, and increases to the 49 with the water in the house off, which is why there seems to be better pressure when you first turn on your water with the bladder tank in place (just my guess).
I would simply replace the main supply line with 1" PVC directly from the public meter to the house copper. You shouldn't need that pressure tank.
That should permanently solve your pressure problem. It would be much less expensive than adding and maintaining a booster pump.
Check with the public water people to see what pressure there is on their side of your meter.
Good Luck!