a question for the professional

Old 08-18-01, 06:49 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have been working at two restaurants in a suburb of Seattle. Both are experiencing random pinhole leaks in their hot water recirc systems. One of the buildings is about three years old, the other is about eight. I think that both are two young to be having the kind of corrosion problems that they are experiencing. These leaks are appearing in different parts of the restaurants. The leaks are happening in both parts of the pipe and in the fittings. I know that hot water recirc systems speed corrosion but this seems to be too fast. I have checked for galvonic electrolysis but I find no cross connection between metals. All of the hangers are coppper. Could this be something in the municipal water supply that is speeding corrosion? How can I correct this? Can I test the water easily? With whom? Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 08-18-01, 08:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

pauly,
I'm not a pro plumber by any means, but there has been a device developed specifically to deal with copper pipe pin hole leaks called the "Copper Knight".

The Copper Knight
There is a discussion of this product and the source listed (in Florida) on http://www.terrylove.com
Terry Love IS a pro plumber in your own backyard (Redmond).
Check out his site, and this product.
Maybe one of the pros here can also help you, besides Terry Love's site.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 08-20-01, 06:03 PM
renhoek
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up whoa thanks!

Thanks! I like this board. I like to offer solutions for the do-it-yourselfer. Do people generally post a reply if the answer has worked?

Thanks for this answer, because one of the properties that I do work for has many leaks from this problem.--(caused by a central boiler system) and I'll go look up the info on this to suggest to them. Thanks! (ps...it's the company I work for that has the problem)

Old 08-20-01, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

renhoek,
Help yourself!
This is an open board. Anyone, pro or D-I-Yer, can ask or answer questions on any subject that they think will help someone else.
pauly is a pro, and I'm not a pro, just a long-time rabid D-I-Yer. Sometimes we have different opinions (even among the pros), and sometimes we "stand corrected". The object is to try to help people solve problems and/or learn how to D-I-Y.
Join right in.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: