leaking toilet

Old 08-20-01, 11:10 PM
Visiting Guest
i know this isn't a novel question, because i searched the posts before submitting it. my toilet has started to leak from the base. it does this inconsistently, and there's never much water on the floor, but i know i have a problem. all of the replies to the posts i read suggested replacing the wax ring. my question is, could i just caulk around the toilet base (i don't really want to call a plumber for this, and i'm leery of unseating the toilet myself; i'll probably create a worse problem)? wouldn't that have the same result? or would too much pressure build up or something? is it possible that there's any other cause of this situation? thanks very much for any and all input.

Old 08-21-01, 11:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

About the only reason that a toilet leaks from under the base is that the wax ring seal has failed.
Caulking around the base to "contain" the leak will only result in rotting the wood flooring under it.
It is not that difficult to remove a toilet, replace the wax ring, and replace it.
There are numerous prior posts with how-to info here, and you can go to "Repair/Fix-It" above in the Plumbing section and find illustrated step-by-step info.
You may need a helper to assist you in handling the toilet off and on the flange.
Take a look to see if you think that you can handle it, and if not, you should call a plumber.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: