Sewer Main keeps clogging

Old 08-22-01, 09:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Searched the archives and didn't see anything about a clog like this. My sewer main (40 year old 3" cast iron)has clogged 4 times in the past 6 months. Every time the clog is about 15 feet from the cleanout, which puts it squarely under the floor of my recreation room. The floor is poured concrete, and that the pipe is sunk into or below that floor. There are no trees anywhere near the house that could have roots going that far inside the house.

I've had them run the snake from the cleanout outside of my front door to the city sewer under the street, and have been told that there are no roots.

None of the "experts" I've had to unclog this know what's causing this. They usually say we've let something go down the drain, but we're very careful. And, the clog keeps occurring at the same spot.

Right now I'm looking for someone reliable to do a camera inspection, but I'm wondering what to expect. If it's not roots, and the pipe is in/under a concrete floor, what could be causing this recurring leak?

Old 08-22-01, 03:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it truley is 15 feet away and you know the clog is there and the snake does not fix the issue I am not sure it matters what is causing it. It really is anyone's best guess anyway. So what should you expect? The unexpected. Sounds like it is time to repair the line and fix it in that spot.

Good Luck

Old 08-22-01, 04:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Sewer Main keeps clogging

Does that mean digging up the floor of the recreation room?

Old 08-22-01, 07:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes, unless it is close to the outside wall, and you can tunnel under it.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 08-23-01, 05:33 PM
renhoek
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Just my humble opinion....
These guys are good! They know what they're talking about. I recently had a similar problem. If the camera shows water in the line when it is currently not clogged, then you may have a "belly" in it-- meaning it has sunk down at a spot where there is an angle, and no longer has the drop needed. The resulting sewer buildup will clog it. hopefully, and probably, the pipe will be able to be reached by a little tunnelling under. It cost us a lot, but it was very clear that that was the problem once it was excavated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: