water heaters

Old 08-22-01, 07:22 PM
Visiting Guest
needing tips on replacing heating element on electric water heater.

Old 08-22-01, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

There are two types.
Screw-in or bolted on.
What do you need to know?
How to test them, or how to replace them?
Mike

Old 08-23-01, 08:14 AM
Visiting Guest
water heater

How to replace them. Basically is it a fairly simple task for someone new to do.

Old 08-23-01, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes, it's easy to do.
Just make sure that you have the right wattage and type of element for your water heater. (Check your owner's manual, if you have one, or you may be able to find it posted on the water heater.)
To change an element (I usually replace both, if I have to change one, but that's your call):
1. Turn off breaker to water heater in electrical panel.
2. Turn off cold water inlet valve at top of water heater (if you don't have a cold water cut-off at the heater, you'll have to turn of the main water cut-off).
3. Attach a hose to the drain spigot at the bottom of the heater and run it to a lower drain or anywhere but on grass (hot water can kill grass), such as to the street gutter.
4. Open the spigot and the little handle on the pressure relief valve at the top of the heater (for air). Open the highest and farthest bath tub hot water faucet only to drain all water out of the hot water lines. Allow hot water lines and tank to drain until it stops coming out of the hose.
5. Test the screws on the element with a volt meter to make certain that there is no power to it (safety). Breakers can fail sometimes.
6. Disconnect the wires and remove the old element(s), and replace.
7. Close the drain spigot and pressure relief valve handle, and turn the cold water back on. Allow the water to flush the air out of the tank and lines through that far open bath tub spigot. After a solid flow of water is running from that bath tub spigot, open all other hot water faucets and allow to run until you have a solid flow of water out of them, and all air is out of the lines and tank.
8. Check for leaks around the elements.
9. If everything is o.k. (no air in lines or tank and no leaks), turn the breaker back on and you should be good to go.
Good Luck! Mike
(Coincidentally, I just had to replace my water heater yesterday. Fortunately, it was under warranty, and I got a brand new one for free, except for my "labor" of course. LOL)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: