M
MKM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a stub of (2"?) PVC (for DWV system) that
leads out of a T type joint. It is just capped
at the other end. It was roughed in to eventually
go to a vanity.

It broke off, in the joint. So, the collar still
contains part of the solvent welded stubbed pipe.
Rather than cut out the T and replace it, is there
a way to extract the pipe from the collar? A
special hone, perhaps, or a method of dremeling
or sanding, or vinegar and baking soda trick, or
something?

Any help appreciated...

...Mike

Old 08-24-01, 04:15 PM
J
Just cut the tee out and buy some couplings it is not worth the hassle. By the way the solvent for the glue is acetone (finger nail polish remover) it works well to remove the glue from your hands.

Good Luck

Old 08-24-01, 06:38 PM
M
MKM
Unfortunately, I don't think I have room to do that. The stub flows into a vertical section of pipe. The vertical pipe goes into concrete below , and into the cieling and into the joist work above. I don't seem to have any vertical play. So, ... my original question will seem to be my first line of attack. (If I totally mess thatup, then I'm left with the cut and replace problem anyway).

Any additional ideas would be appreciated. Thanks...

...Mike

(Oh, and btw, thanks for the acetone tip...)

Old 08-24-01, 07:46 PM
A friend of mine is a swimming pool & solar contractor. A special repair fitting for 1 1/2" and 2" PVC is available, but it's exclusive to that industry. They are not available anywhere else. Try a swimming pool supply. The broken end would cut off flush, the repair coupling inserts within and is glued to the broken section and is a standard 2" coupling on the other end.

Carbide reams for 1/2" and 3/4" PVC couplings are available at hardware stores. They ream the broken section out, restoring the coupling to it original diameter. It could be that ones for larger diameter pvc are available also. This I'm not totally sure about.

If you're extremely careful and make multiple cuts lengthwise,(almost to the coupling), in the broken section then use a razor sharp wood chisel the broken section can be peeled away. Sand both coupling and pipe afterward, prime both, and don't be shy with the glue. This is the hard way!

Old 08-24-01, 07:50 PM
J
Well the only way I have seen it done and it was on a newer joint was to make several cuts inside the pipe and take a screw driver and hammer and carefully take it out. Make several cuts so you remove small sections at a time. Remeber if the joint was a good one this will probably not work but it is worth a shot given you circumstances. The reason it is so hard to take the joints apart is they are melted together with a chemical reaction.

Good Luck

Old 08-24-01, 08:06 PM
Use a ram bit, looks like this.

This will remove the pipe that is glued into a hub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: