Shower drain smells moldy

Old 08-27-01, 09:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a shower drain that is not clogged but smells very moldy, especially when I turn on our attic fan. I have tried salt, baking soda and boiling water, but the drain does not even hold the ingredients since it is not clogged. I have also poured bleach down the drain with minimal results. I have used thick drain cleaners, thinking they would adhere to the sides and clean it, but also did not get satisfactory results.

Old 08-31-01, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
You have a P-trap beneath your drain that continuously holds water which would allow mold to grow. It sounds like you have tried all the appropriate remedies, but have you just flushed them through or given them time to sit in the P-trap? You need to let them sit. Pour one cup of bleach down the drain and let it sit for a couple of days.

If this doesn't work, then you must have mold growing on the under side of the drain grate. The grate can be pried off with a screwdriver, then cleaned or replaced.

Or, water has seeped between the subfloor and shower pan. This could also be the source of the mold. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: