Changing Shower fixtures

Old 08-30-01, 10:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Do you necessarily have to change out the galvanized piping behind the shower just to change the fixtures? Can't I just change the stem valve to match the handles? And, how do you change the water spout?
Old 08-31-01, 02:57 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Your faucet assembly in the wall is fixed to the galvanized pipes, but you can change out the valve stem assemblies (and handles)that screw into it from the tub side.
Get a set of valve sockets (about $10 bucks), and find the one that fits your valve stem assemblies, take them out, take them to the store, and get new ones to match them exactly.
Your tub spout should just screw onto a pipe from the wall.
It may have a set screw underneath it, so check for that, and loosen it if there is one.
Just turn the old spout off counter-clockwise, and get one that will fit the threaded pipe coming out from the wall.
Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape (clockwise only) on all male threads.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 09-05-01, 04:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

thanks, mike - worked great!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: