bathroom pedestal sink leaking at base

Old 09-05-01, 07:30 PM
Visiting Guest
wow, i searched all the "leak" posts and didn't find this question anywhere. i have a pedestal sink in my bathroom and today i noticed some water pooling around the base. i cleaned it up and it reappeared, so i know it's coming from there. is this the kind of thing i as a non-plumbing-oriented type person would be able to address? if so, can anybody suggest what the likely problem might be and how i can fix it? by the way, i posted here a little while back because i had seen water around the base of the toilet as well. the suggestion was to replace the wax ring which i just haven't gotten to yet, although i haven't seen any water there since i posted. i add this just in case somehow they are related. thank you very much -

Old 09-06-01, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To answer your last question first - no they are not related.

A pedestal sink can't leak from the bottom. There's usually nothing at the bottom to leak, unless the supply pipes run thru the floor and up the pedestal. It is probably leaking higher up and running down the pedestal.

First, determine if the leak is waste water or supply.

Add a few drops of food coloring to the drain. Plug the drain, put some water in the sink, add a different color food coloring to the water and let it sit for awhile. Check the water on the floor. If it's the color of the water in the sink, it's the seal between the drain and the basin. If it's the color of what you put into the drain, it's the p-trap. It may have a pinhole leak , or the lower connection is loose or needs a washer replaced.
If there's no water leaking, it's the p-trap, but it's only leaking when water flows thru it. It may be that the upper connection is loose or the washer needs replacing.
If the water's clear, it may be the supply.

If it's in the drain, tighten the p-trap connections, and the drain connection to the sink.

If it's in the supply, dry off all parts of the water supply, and start feeling each connection point for moisture.

If nothing sems to be leaking, it could be the pipes sweating, or water getting under the faucet base when the sink is being used. If the latter, you'll have to loosen the faucet and get some plumber's putty under it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: