leak in supply line

Old 09-08-01, 09:31 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

The dreaded has happened. Found a leak in the supply line to our house. Have dug it up. It appears to be a 1" line and black pvc of some sort. Is it best to splice in a new section or can we put some type of clamp over the bad area?

Old 09-08-01, 11:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

That is the least expensive type of piping, and is usually used in irrigation. It freezes and bursts easily, if it isn't buried deep enough.
Don't try to just clamp the leak.
It is connected with what are called "king nipples" which fit into the joining sections of it, and then are hose-clamped on both sides.
That's how to fix it. You can get galvanized or plastic king nipples. Go with the plastic. Won't rust out.
(I personally would eventually replace all of it with PVC.)
Good luck! Mike

Old 09-09-01, 04:13 AM
This fitting oldguy is talking about looks like this.

Old 09-09-01, 05:30 AM
E
Thumbs up Thanks guys

We fixed it! We used one of those thing a ma jigs that you mentioned. We went with the stainless steel. We also bought a pvc cutter which greatly eased the job. I heard a quote once that said "If you only make one trip to the plumbing store you are doing somethig wrong." This is so true. Lowes was out of the part. Home Depot insisted we had a 1" line. Looking at the part I knew our line was smaller. I talked my husband into buying a 3/4" fitting also. It was the 3/4" we needed. My guess is that today built houses have 1" lines. Our house is 40 years old and 3/4" was probably code then, or when the line was put in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: