Toilet vent line problem

Old 09-10-01, 01:34 PM
kevin4851
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a toilet (1.6) that fills the bowl but does not flush. The water slowly drains out of the bowl. But it does not flush.
I plunged.
I snaked.
I pulled the toilet from the floor and snaked from the underside.
The drain(3"pvc) looked clear I poured a couple of gallons of water down -no problem there.
I assume that I'm not getting air from the vent line, but I have three toilets in the house and they have no problems.
I only have one vent outlet on the roof-- if it was clogged wouldn't it effect the other toilets?
What should I do next?
Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-01, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If you have only one vent out of the roof, EVERYTHING would be affected if there was a vent clog problem, so you're right. That isn't it.
A toilet has its own built-in trap. A regular snake can push right past whatever is causing toilet paper to clog up in it, just like any other drain line.
Anything that should never be flushed can easily get hung up in the toilet trap (plastic toys, feminine products, curlers, toothbrushes, etc.).
The tool that you need to clear it with is a toilet auger. It has a hook on the end of the auger, and a 3' crank handle.

(This old guy is NOT me. LOL)
Feed the end of the auger up into the trap and crank away. If that doesn't do it, pull the toilet again, and do it from the underside.
Should solve the problem.
Good Luck! Mike