solar hot water heater repair

Old 09-10-01, 02:31 PM
Visiting Guest
My solar hot water heater suddenly doesn't. It seems over the past couple of weeks, the amount and temperature of the hot water we DO receive continues to decline? I thought it was classfied as a passive system, but am beginning to wonder if there is a thermostat, are they replaceable and can I get to it? or do I need a pro? HELP..... thanx

Old 09-15-01, 06:05 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Don't know if you are still looking for help or not. If so, I don't know if I will be able to give it to you.
When I was a young lad, my folks had a solar water heater system. Of course, Dad wouldn't let me near it with any tools (he is a very wise man). This is what I remember about it.
The panels themselves contained a fluid like prestone (anti-freeze), this would heat up and be pumped through a holding tank of water. I say pumped, meaning there was a motor driven pump on the system. This pump was controled via a thermostat.
With all that said, I remember the pump was in the basement, next to the tank. However, the location of the thermostat eludes me at this time. I guess if you were able to find the pump, follow the wire to the relay that contols it, than the wires from the relay to the thermostat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: