showerhead drips while I'm trying to run bath

Old 09-12-01, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a Waltec dual control baththub faucet. Whenever I start running a bath, once a month whether I need to or not, water splats down on the back of my head from the shower. I would like to know can it be fixed and if it can how can I fix the thingy. Maybe I'll have to move to a new home with one that works as an option. I hope not, please help.

Old 09-12-01, 12:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Is your shower/tub diverter on the tub spout?
If it is, you may need to remove the tub spout, and soak the diverter end in vinegar overnight to dissolve mineral buildup, which is apparently not allowing the diverter to go all of the way down.
The spout should just unscrew counter-clockwise (but also check for a set screw that may need to be loosened under it).
Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape clockwise only on the male threads of the pipe sticking out from the wall that the spout screws onto to prevent leaking.
Use a washcloth or sponge under the pipe wrench when unscrewing and screwing the spout so that the wrench doesn't mar the spout finish.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 09-12-01, 03:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks OldGuy but it seems my diverter is in the wall between the taps. Does this make the project much different?

Old 09-12-01, 08:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes.
You will need to remove, and repair or replace, the diverter valve (middle).
Remove the handle, and look for a hexagonal part of the valve assembly. If the hex is not recessed in the wall, remove the valve with an adjustable wrench.
However, it will probably be recessed in the wall. If so, buy a set of valve sockets (about $10 bucks), find the one that fits your valve, and unscrew it counter-clockwise.

Valve Socket Set
Take the diverter with you to the store to get parts or a new one to match.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 09-13-01, 04:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for all the information OldGuy. You have saved me thousands in moving expenses and a little embarrassment since I work for the company that makes these products and have personally machined at least fifty thousand of them and have the blueprint permanently imbedded in my brain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: