toilet problem :(((

Old 09-13-01, 12:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Hi. i don't know if this is at all the right way to go about posting this, but what the hell

I've got a problem with the family toilet. Having just paid out for a really expensive fix of pipes in the bathroom, too much for what it was i think, i'm kinda reluctant to pay a huge amount of money out for the problem to be fixed. the toilet works fine, except when i go to flush it only a minimal amount of water flushes out. i've taken off the top of the toilet (about all i can do regarding diy!!) and have seen that when i flush the toilet, water is let up through a curvey pipe, but the force with which i push the handle isn't enough and the bend in the pipe is too high, if anyone gets that. the water goes so high, some of it gets over, but the rest just plops back down to where it came from. i have to flush the toilet continuously for about six times before any sufficient amount of water is let through... another way for me to describe it if this helps is that it feels as if i'm having to pump the water up the pipe manually with the handle because the normal force isn't there.

ok, after i'm done rambling... what i wanted to ask was... how much would this normally cost to fix? is it a big job? could a very determined and annoyed-with-the-toilet 16 year old do it alone?? how hard would it be? etc etc.

thanks for any help with this!!!

lying_happy_eyes@hotmail.com

Old 09-13-01, 01:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lying:

When you say pipes were fixed, what was done?
Are these galvanized, copper or PVC pipes? It could be that debris has partially clogged the toilet supply.
Is the water supply valve turned completely on?
How old/new is the fill valve? It may need replacing.

Check out

Inside the toilet the valve lets water a)into the toilet tank, and b) routes it down a tube into the bowl.

Most of the water enters the tank right at the base of the fill valve (the upright part to which the float attaches). Some is directed thru a small flexible or copper tube at the top which sticks into a (1-inch) tube open at the top (the flush valve assembly), and is attached with a small clip. Make sure this tube is directing water into the flush valve.

Old 09-15-01, 05:47 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Are you still needing help? There isn't to much in the toilet that you couldn't fix yourself, with a little help. Usually the cost of a service call by a plumber would allow you to completely rebuild the thing. Let us know and we will walk you through it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: