Hose Bibb Woes

Old 09-15-01, 05:45 AM
John30058
Visiting Guest
I have a Nibco hose bibb at the front and rear of my house. The bibb located at the front of my house has leaked for a while now. The handle on the bibb when being turned off does not stop turning. I took the bibb handle/knob off the bibb to Home Depot and Lowes and both said that the tread inside the bib was stripped, hence the continuous turn and leaking. They advised me to replace the bibb. They also sad that the bibb would screw off and onto the pipe coming from the wall. I have tried turning the bibb; while the entire bibb does turn, it looks as though it is inside some type of a plastic casing. My questions are, does this all make sense to you; do I need to replace the entire bibb; is this something that i can do as a layman or will I need professional assistance. If it is something that I can do, can you provide me with the step-by-step process to get this corrected.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-01, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't believe the guys at HD and Lowes meant for you to try to take the whole hose bibb off the wall. There should be a packing nut right under the handle. Once the handle is removed you can remove this nut (make sure water is off to this hose bibb). Now with the nut off, you can unscrew the stem. Take the stem to the hardware store and get a replacement if the threads are really fouled up on it. Make sure the new stem comes with a new rubber seat.

Old 09-16-01, 09:20 AM
John30058
Visiting Guest
Actually it is the stem that I took out and took to Home Depot and Lowes. I showed it to them thinking just that, that I could purchse a replacement stem for the hose bibb. At Lowes, the guy looked at the stem and the piece it screws into and said that there was some stripping in the bottom of it and that I should replace the entire bibb because of it.

Old 09-17-01, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In that case your post is not making sense to me. If you have the stem and the bibb off and took them to the store with you, what are you trying to get off of the house? As the guys at HD said the bibb should screw off the the pipe. The only one that will not is a compression fitting type. In either case I would suggest using a back up wrench to hold the pipe from turning. If you have pvc or cpvc coming from the house, this could be the plastic you are seeing. If this is the case you have to be careful not to twist is very much or you will break/crack it inside the wall and have a leak there.
I did find the following site which shows the various types of hose bibbs. Which type do you have? Maybe this will help with the removal. If you know how it is connected to the plumbing, than you can figure out how to remove it.

http://www.nibco.com/valves-actuatio...ions.shtml#56U