Disconnecting/reinstalling glued PVC drain pipes

Old 10-01-01, 05:56 AM
alvocado
Visiting Guest
Question

During a kitchen remodel, I had to cut the sink waste pipe drain near the wall in order to remove a sink base cabinet. The PVC pipe was glued at the joint and I'm not sure how to remove the small section of cut pipe that is still attached the rough-in plumbing that enters the wall. I assume this will have to be removed in order to glue new drain pipes to the wall pipe. Is there a way to disconnect glued PVC pipe, i.e. dissolve the adhesive? If not, how do I connect to the cut-off piece which protrudes from the glued joint about 0.5 inches? It was necessary to cut very close to the connection in order to remove and reinstall the base cabinet.

Old 10-01-01, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

When PVC pipes are glued, the glue is a chemically welded bond, like a welded steel pipe.
There is no way to get the fittings apart.
The half-inch is very minimal, but you may get a PVC coupling on it to make it up.
There, fortunately, is no real pressure on a drain pipe.
Use a liberal amount of PVC glue on that short half-inch and jam the coupling up tight with the glued fittings together.
It should hold.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 10-02-01, 11:31 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have pipe you want to get out of a fitting use a Ram bit. Plumber 2000 has mentioned them out here before and I just purchased and used one myself and it worked great and saved a lot of time. Here is a good place on the web to buy one. It was one of the better prices I found.

http://www.plumbingstore.com

Good Luck

Old 10-02-01, 12:15 PM
John,
You are absolutely right (again). I forgot all about that Ram bit.
Mike

Old 10-03-01, 10:11 AM
alvocado
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys. John, the ram bit idea is perfect and I appreciate the link to the online plumbing store. Thanks again--Allen.

Old 10-03-01, 07:45 PM
Cool

Here is a Ram bit that John is talking about:

Mike

Old 10-13-01, 02:59 PM
alvocado
Visiting Guest
Using the ram bit

Mike, I ordered the ram bit but am not sure if I'm using it correctly. Becuase the OD of the pipe I want to remove is 2", I ordered the 2" ram bit. The cutting blade, however, is larger than 2" in diameter. Will this remove too much plastic? Also, I mounted the guide plate between the lock nut and cutting blade but this seems to prevent the blade from making contact with the pipe. Should the pipe to be removed be cut flush with the outside pipe to allow the cutting blade to enter? I'm looking for some tips before I create a bigger problem. Thanks-Allen.

Old 10-13-01, 09:57 PM
Cool

Sorry, Allen.
I've never used a ram bit. I've just heard about them from pro plumbers (I'm not one).
Maybe John can help you with it, or ask Ron at ron@atozplumbing.com . He is a pro plumber on the West Coast, and first mentioned the ram bit in here.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-15-01, 04:47 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you ordered the 2" Ram Bit for 2" pipe that will work fine. It comes with several different guide washers. The different sizes are for the different schedules of pipe. An easy way of determining what guide washer is needed is take a unused fitting and compare the washer to the inside of the bell. The guide washer you need to use will be obvious. Also do the same comparison with the bit it will illustrate how it works. The goal is to remove the pipe glued inside the bell to restore the fitting to like new.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: