toilet drain

Old 10-04-01, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

i need help not sure what to do next. my tub and toilet are backed up,if you plung the toilet it comes up in the tub.Itook the toilet off and used a small auger and came up with what looked like small weeds or small roots,but it is still backing up. someone at work suggested copper sufate,is that safe to pour down the toilet drain,or is there something else i can try? thank you and have a good day

Old 10-04-01, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You apparently have old sectional (cast iron, terra cotta, etc.) outside drain lines, which allow hairlike roots to enter at the joints.
You need to pull the toilet and roto-rooter the main drain line to the septic system or street sewer to clear them immediately. If you don't do anything else, the roots will probably come back in 1.5-2 years.
The best permanent solution is to replace the outside drainline with solid glued PVC drain pipe, which roots cannot penetrate.
Copper sulphate also will kill the roots, but will take longer.
It is O.K. to flush the copper sulphate crystals down the toilet about every 3-4 months. A cup should do it. It will not harm your toilet wax ring seal, but remember that it is poisonous, so don't allow children or pets (or plants that you want to live) around it. Use it carefully.
You can get a 3-lb bag for about $7 bucks, and it will last a long time.
Good Luck! Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: