Guess what I just learned...

Old 10-09-01, 10:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I just learned an interesting (and expensive) lesson, and I want to share it with all of you so you don't waste *your* money!

I was in this forum yesterday asking if I had a venting problem.

My toilets have been flushing slowly and/or not completely for about a month now, and I thought it was probably a blocked vent. Old Guy confirmed my belief that, yes, it was probably my venting. WRONG!!!

I had a plumber out this morning, and (you aren't going to believe this) he deduced that the problem is the result of using one of those "2000 flushes" blue-tablet-things in my toilet!

Now, I don't want a lawsuit here, so I'm not sure if the brand was 2000 flushes or not. But the fact of the matter is that those blue-tablet-things emit a stringy material that clogs the outlets around the rim of your bowl. When those outlets get plugged, the toilet cannot generate enough water around the rim to flush properly!

I told the plumber "you gotta be kidding me!" But, his theory is consistent with my wife's first purchase of those darn tablets about a month ago!

So, at $60 an hour to assess the problem, I own the most expensive blue-tablet-things on the face of the earth!

If your toilet is flushing slowly, and you have one of those blue-tablet-things in it, DON'T CALL A PLUMBER! Put on some rubber gloves (here's another bonus, the blue dye these things emit will stain everything it touches, so don't get it on your skin [unless you want a tattoo], and don't let it touch your walls!), and scoop the blasted sludge out of your tank!

I hope you can all learn from my misadventure. And OldGuy, in any other case you would have been right... I just forgot to mention the blue-tablet-things-from-hell in my question.

Thanks for your help, and don't make the same mistake I did!

Bondboy

Old 10-09-01, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

News to me, bondboy.
We used those blue tablets for years with no problems (my wife eventually switched to the white bleach kind for some reason).
HOWEVER, we do NOT have the so-called "water-saver" low-flow toilets, and THAT is probably the difference (older type toilets have much greater flushing power).
(And furthermore, I will NEVER have a low-flow toilet...nothing but hassle...and this is a prime example.)
LOL
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-09-01, 02:11 PM
Visiting Guest
OldGuy, there's more!

Your wife uses the white-bleach-tablets? Well, the plumber told me that *they* deteriorate the rubber in the gaskets and seals!

I think that *all* of those tablets are part of a conspiracy by the plumbers and toilet-parts manufacturers to bilk us of our money!

Do-it-yourselfers unite! Boycott the tablets!

Pass it on!

Bondboy

Old 10-09-01, 06:42 PM
A
I am not sure if I can say BULL**** here, but we will see.

I am a Chemical Engineer, and I seriously doubt that either the blue or white tablets will in any-way affect the chemical composition or stability of rubber, plastics, or other polymers that may appear in a "normal" toilet. I have not reviewed their active ingredients, but I just say "common sense" says they are not making a product to clean a toilet that is going to lead to a major failure of common toilet parts. Ever hear of a Class Action Suit, they would have already been out of business.

The only conspiracy I am currently concerned about has to do with Osami Bin Laden, and the other crazy terrorist's, not plumbers or toilet parts manufacturers.

Old 10-10-01, 02:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

You know we do have those blue things in our toilet! I'm going to give that a try and I will let you know how it works out. Our toilet has been flushing slowly for about 2 months and we've had the blue thingys all that time.

Thanks for sharing the info!
Dee

Old 10-11-01, 08:18 AM
Ya know? My house is less than 2 years old. We have 6 toilets. I've replaced the flappers in every toilet!
Some are Kohler, some American Standard. My wife uses the white bleach tablets.

Old 10-11-01, 10:56 AM
I
I'm not a chemist, but I think the white tablets are some form of chlorine. Chlorine is a powerful oxidizer, or so it says on the big container I have out at the pool. It will eat up most metals or fabrics, and probably is not very good for the rubber in your toilet. I don't know that for a fact, but my flapper valves seem to last a lot longer since we stopped using the tablets.

Old 10-12-01, 05:15 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks, you just saved me some bucks... I too had a slow flusher, not realizing it began shortly after using that same brand of blue tablets. It was acting like the holes in the rim were calcified.. (It's a 50+ year old toilet) I've used other (cheaper) brands in the past, without much of an issue. I removed the blue glob (also thanks for the hint about using gloves). After 24 hours, and a whole bunch of flushes, it's back to normal.....

another lesson learned, thanks again...........

Old 10-12-01, 08:12 AM
Visiting Guest
The

I sure am glad that I was the only one who had to hire a plumber to find out about "The Blue Menace!"

Those of you who feel guilty about not having to spend all that money can give it to a local charity or disaster relief instead.

Glad I could be of assistance!

Bondboy
http://www.BestHomes4U.com

Old 10-16-01, 07:54 AM
To clear things up about bleach tablets and those blue drop-ins, yes those blue cakes can cause the flush ring to plug up and cause toilets to flush poorly, and for the clorine tablets, yes indeed they will cause the rubber to break down, seen it too many times, replaced too many tank to bowl kits, flappers, and flush valves, and fill valves, I always can tell when the clorine tablets were being used, just by touching the rubber parts in a tank, and if you get black on the fingers then clorine has been a factor in it.

Old 10-29-01, 02:20 AM
I was talking about this thread with someone, and he speculated that using chlorine tablets could inhibit proper bacterial growth in a septic system.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 10-29-01, 03:12 AM
Correct,

Why do you think they use small amounts of clorine in potable water? It makes our drinking water safe to drink

Bacteria is needed in a septic sytem to help break down the solids. Clorine kills bacteria.

Old 10-31-01, 10:30 PM
P
Plumber 2000 preaches the truth. The blue tabs clog the holes. The white tabs disolve the rubber bits in the tank. Lets learn to take 2 minutes out of our day once a month to scrub the toilet bowl with a brush, OK? I usually end up using a broken down coat hanger to ream out the holes around the bowl of the toilet when they get calcified with that crap. I can also testify to "blue tattoos" from getting that stuff on my hands, it never comes off (until the skin does).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: