removing & replacing cast iron soil pipe

Old 10-11-01, 02:26 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the easiest way to remove a cast iron soil pipe? Isn't there a cutting tool for this. I plan on taking it to the basement floor and replacing with pvc. Any comments?

Old 10-11-01, 03:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Removing soil pipe

I used a reciprecating saw with a special diamond blade (blade purchased at large home center for about 12 bucks) to cut the soil pipe. I just made sure it was properly supported on both ends before I cut it.

Old 10-11-01, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

There also are snap-cutters that you can rent for the purpose:

You can connect the cast iron to PVC with Fernco couplings (heavy rubber sleeves with two ring clamps).
As smyth432, said, be sure and solidly support all cast iron that you're cutting. It can come come crashing down from the roof to the basement. Start with the top sections and work your way down.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-11-01, 11:21 AM
Use ABS pipe, which is black, not PVC.
Otherwise, listen to the other posts.

Old 10-15-01, 08:03 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Smile I just did this myself...

I just completed removing and replacing all the cast iron pipes (including the main stack). My advice is to spend the $20 to rent the cast iron snapper/cutter (also called soil pipe cutter). It was a bit bulky at first but worked extremely well - and quickly. It took less then 1 minute to do each cut/snap.

Other comments:
We followed our local code and used PVC (not ABS) - you should use whatever your local code asks for - so as not to have the job "stand-out".

Definately make sure the cast iron pipe is supported on both sides of each cut - it is VERY heavy and can hurt you or your house if it falls.

Good luck!
Ed

Old 10-21-01, 10:43 AM
G
Thanks, I rented the cutter and the job was a breeze (a heavy breeze).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: