Replacing a cartridge for a moen shower valve

Old 10-20-01, 10:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have a single control Moen shower valve,no faucet. Since replacing the entire valve is a bit much for novice like me I've decided to replace the cartridge instead. I was able to remove the core of the cartridge,however, the cartridge housing is stuck inside the valve. How can I get that thing out so I can wrap this project up?
Old 10-20-01, 10:57 AM
notuboo's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kansas City MO
Posts: 1,699
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are 4 kinds of moen cartridge extractors. You need the one that has the spring loaded ball bearing assembly on it. It is made just for the purpose of fixing the problem you have. (I've seen people pull the centers out before using vise grips.) This little gizmo will slide into the cartridge and lock in place. You then turn a nut assembly on top with a small cresant wrench.
Go to a plumbing supply house and just tell the person you need a moen extractor to remove the cartridge body.

Have fun, you will not believe how much the faucet will be with a new cartridge.
Old 10-20-01, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you very much!
Old 10-20-01, 12:40 PM
Plumber2000's Avatar
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,696
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This tool looks like this
Old 10-21-01, 07:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up stuck valve cartridge

Many thanks to Notuboo and Plumber2000, that tool worked like a charm.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: